Ingredients for Buko Pie (Coconut Pie)
2 cups grated coconut
1/4 cup coconut broth
1/4 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
3-4 tablespoons cold water
How to Cook Buko Pie (Coconut Pie)
1. Make the pie crust first. Place in large bowl the flour and salt. Then mix the shortening. Use 2 knives as you slice down the flour and shortening to smaller portion or granules. This is called our flour-shortening mixture.
2. Gradually add 1 tablespoon water. Continue slicing down the flour-shortening mixture. Mix 1 tablespoon water again. Continue the slicing of the mixture till you get fine grainy substance off of it.
3. Sprinkle with flour the large plastic sheet or wax paper, and put half of the mixture here.
4. Make a round shape for the mixture and cover with plastic sheets over it.
5. Use the rolling pin until you flatten the mixture into 1/4 inches thin. This is called the pie crust.
6. Coat the round pie pan with shortening and move the crust here.
7. Fit the crust in the pan by folding the inner crust and the upper end thereof to be smooth.
8. Use a fork to prick the crust. Later, bake it for 5 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Use the rolling pin to flatten the remaining mixture to make the surface crust. Set aside.
9. Make the stuffing or filling of coconut pie. Place in a saucepan the coconut, sugar, butter, eggs, evaporated milk (mixed with coconut soup) and cornstarch. Mix well.
10. Cook over medium heat until the stuffing ingredients thicken.
11. Pour into the pie crust the stuffing. Lay the remaining pie crust over the filling. Close by folding inwards at around the crust and press a fork around it to have a design.
12. Bake 20-35 minutes at a temperature of 420 degrees Fahrenheit everything.